Sahrdaya Technology Business Incubator
On 16 th January, 2018 a new venture, Sahrdaya Technology Business Incubator (STBI), a joint venture of Kerala State Industrial Development Corporation (KSIDC) was started. Dr. Christy Fernandez, chairman KSIDC inaugurate the function. Our chairman Bishop Mar Pauly Kannookadan presided over the function.
At present Sahrdaya is hosting three companies in our college through Sahrdaya Technology Business Incubator.
Research Innovation Programme for Women startups (Biotechnology and Biomedical Engineering)
Sahrdaya College of Engineering and Technology (SCET), Thrissur has introduced the “Research Innovation Programme for Women startups” Scheme to promote and handhold bright women researchers across the state in the areas of Biotechnology and Biomedical Engineering. The scheme is envisaged to encourage innovation culture among women fraternity, recognise the values and capabilities of Women startups and development of innovative, technology-based business enterprises that will stimulate the economy of the State of Kerala through venture creations, increased employment and leveraging of private investment. This comes as a big support, particularly for early-stage startups which have developed unique product and are planning to advance further.
The Scheme is implemented through the Kerala Startup Mission (KSUM), the government’s nodal agency for entrepreneurship development and incubation activities in the state. Under the scheme, eligible women startups can grab research grants upto Rs 5 lakh for each startups in the initial phase. The program primarily focuses on conversion of research outcomes with strong academic foundation into products or technology which in turn can create revolutionary impact on the overall economic development of the State and Country.
- The team should be led by a woman (educational qualifications are non-mandatory).
- The proposed startup should be at least in the early research translational phase.
- The proposed startup should be based on Biomedical or Biotechnology engineering, with applications directly or indirectly leading to the healthcare domain.
Benefits of Scheme
- The eligible women startups can grab research grants upto Rs 5 lakh for each startups in the initial phase.
The selected startups will also be benefited from
- Mentors from Industry and Academia for higher levels of translation readiness
- Allowed access to Laboratory facilities of the host institute (SCET).
- On campus & Off campus training sessions, Incubation training, Workshops, Networking camps, Regular monitoring and quarterly reviews.
- Technology transfer support from potential industry partners
Milestones in the execution
- Open call for project proposals from women researchers in the area of Biotechnology and Biomedical engineering
- Screening for the translational capacity of the proposal by a panel of domain experts.
- Selection of potential proposals and categorization based on industry readiness of the technology and cost from lab to market
- Defining the research based on technology readiness levels (TRL)
- Assigning of mentors from Industry and Academia (Domain Expert Mentors from the host institute to all selected incubatees and external experts) to the selected proposals and follow up of progress
- Access to Laboratory facilities of host institute (SCET).
- Arranging capacity building training sessions for researchers to leverage the translation as and when needed
- Quarterly reviews on TRL and iterative correction/mentoring support to the incubatees
- Networking with potential partners to achieve research translation
- Demo Day for the Women Startups
- Enrolling the Innovations to the higher levels of TRL
Outcome of Scheme
- Successful generation of women startups in the area of Biotechnology and Biomedical Engineering
- Conversion of academic research outcomes into products or technology.
- Connecting academic expertise to solve problems in the healthcare sector and vice-versa.
- Training researchers for smart conversion of academic skills into business models.
- To make a revolutionary impact on the overall economic development of the state and Country